The Equitable Life Assurance Society commissioned the Boston architectural firm of Andrews, Jacques & Rantoul to design a building that would rival all others in the prestigious financial district developing along Seventeenth Street in Denver in the early 1880’s. Erected in 1892, the Equitable is Denver’s first Italian Renaissance Revival structure, with interior finishes inspired by Greek and Byzantine architecture. The Equitable Building was listed on the National Register in 1978 and was designated a local Denver landmark in 1977.
Time, traffic, pollution, weather and other factors have taken a substantial toll on the condition of the terra-cotta, the distinctive pressed Roman bricks and the granite base. Repointing of all terra-cotta and brick on the 17th street elevation will be carried out to stabilize and protect the façade, reduce damage from freezing water in joints and eliminate water penetration into interior masonry walls. These are stabilization issues intended to prolong the life of this magnificent structure and to prevent danger to pedestrians below. Cleaning of the masonry and the preservation and stabilization of the windows will complete the restoration of the exterior façade.
St. Paul UMC
St. Paul United Methodist Church (SPUMC) is a proud structure little changed from its original construction in 1910. It is eloquently representative of the early 20th century civic and religious buildings of the classical revival expression. Designed by Denver architect, J.B. Hyder, the two-story, tan brick structure is laced with brilliant stained glass windows situated between colossal piers and columns and was the expression of a prosperous congregation willing to place high value on its house of worship. It eloquently sits on the northwest corner of 16th Avenue and Ogden Street in Denver, CO.
The windows at St. Paul’s are a significant design element that contribute not only to the building’s architectural quality and aesthetic but that also make up much of the building’s exterior envelope and so impact its structural integrity. The current grant has been undertaken to address the needs of the deteriorated condition of these important stained glass windows.
Temple Emanuel - Pathways Church
Temple Emanuel was built by Denver's oldest and largest Jewish congregation. Congregation Emanuel was incorporated in 1874 and its current location on 16th Avenue and Pearl Street was its third building.Temple Emanuel's Moorish architecture is unusual in Denver and the region as a whole. The original 1898-99 building was designed by John J. Humphreys. A 1924 addistion was designed by his apprentice, Thielman Robert Wiener. Temple Emmanuel was the center of Jewish life from the turn of the century until 1957. The historic Denver landmark has become an important community center run by Pathways Church that is vital to its surrounding community.
After a successful grant to complete the north facade and the roof, the goal of this grant is to provide funds to complete the west facade restoration. This includes window restoration and window sill repairs/replacement which will halt water infiltration into the building. The grant also includes the west exterior wall to be repointed and the rehabilitation of decorative limestone.
Denver Inner City Parish
The DICP is housed in the Gothic Revival, Smith’s Chapel, that was built in 1882. The Chapel is constructed of rhyolite stone and a 1923 two-and-a half-story brick classroom addition is on the east side of the building. Originally a United Brethren Church, the Chapel is one of the oldest churches on the west side of Denver and a significant architectural landmark in the Lincoln/La Alma neighborhood. The building, located at 9th Avenue and Galapago Street, is significant for its architectural design and for its association with Denver’s ecclesiastical history.
The Denver Inner City Parish was founded in 1960 and occupied the building in 1961 as a non-denominational, non-profit agency dedicated to serving the spiritual and secular needs of low-income residents living in the west Denver community. Today the building is used as the home of the DICP’s educational programs, including La Academia, (a 7-12th grade high school), a night school for adults earning their GEDs, a summer day camp and after school programs, and for summer lunch and breakfast programs.
Grant funds will be used to replace all 35 aluminum non-historic windows in the 1923 brick addition with insulated wood sash replacements. Three non-historic doors on the north elevation will also be replaced with historically compatible replacements that will allow them to meet the safety needs of the school. Each new wood sash window and door will be installed to be compatible with the windows and doors that were replaced in an earlier State Historical Fund grant project on the 1882 stone chapel building.
On the interior, 5000 square feet of original plaster ceilings will be repaired after the removal of existing 2x4 acoustic ceiling tiles and grid work in the suspended ceiling. The electrical power and AV cables will be consolidated into a chase or raceway and new surface mounted light fixtures will be installed on the refurbished ceiling. This will return the classroom volumes to their original size and provide a greatly improved environment for the students. The few remaining original elements, like the fireplace mantels and surrounds on each floor, will be integrated into these newly reclaimed spaces.
Church of the Holy Redeemer
The Church of the Holy Redeemer is a significant example of Gothic Revival in Denver’s Whittier neighborhood. It is one of only three churches designed in Denver by the prominent architectural firm of William E. Fisher and Arthur A. Fisher. Originally known as St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, the 1910 historically designated church at 26th Avenue and Williams Street will undergo extensive exterior sandstone restoration to its cornice, columns, window and door surrounds, stairs, and foundation band. Structural repairs will be made per the recommendations of the Historic Structure Assessment and later Intensive Investigation so that future floor loads can be accommodated and cracks to the exterior will be halted. Drainage issues will also be mitigated on the north façade and electrical upgrades will be performed to ensure that the diverse congregation of the Church of the Holy Redeemer can continue their good work in the neighborhood for many years to come.